6.19.2010

Ze Future?

Perhaps you've seen this, but I thought it was too interesting not to share: There's now a Red River Gorge climbing guide iphone app.

The luddite in me thinks this is kinda weird, and goes against one of the main reasons for being in the woods climbing (which is to disentangle from the complications of the real world). But then there's a part of me that thinks, "Damn, that's pretty f-ing cool. I'd use that if I had an iphone." Just chalk up before you use it. You don't want to drop it on a 90% humidity day at the gorge. Which brings up another point...all my guidebooks are trashed. I'd probably trash my phone at the crag too. But maybe that just reflects on me...

Regardless, it's an interesting undertaking, and something that will become more common I'm sure. But can you imagine the debates this technology could spur? "Hey, you didn't get the onsight because you watched the embedded video first!" You only yellow-pointed tech-pointed it, dude. Sorry."

Check out the vid:



And the Red River Climbing home page.



No comments:

Post a Comment